Since the board has fielded this question so many times, we began to look at what is really behind this particular question. We came to the conclusion that our artists want more exposure and more feedback on their artistic growth. Here's hoping we were right.
Good news! In response to your pleas, we are piloting a brand new type of competition called "ArtSpectations." Here are the main features:
- It's an online, viewable competition for CPSA members only (2013 or 2014).
- All artwork that is predominately colored pencil and meets our eligibility rules is accepted.
- If you have a Facebook account, you can comment and/or share your favorites on your FB timeline.
- Judging for our first Fall ArtSpectations will be done by Jeff George, CPSA, 10-year merit award winner.
- Awards for Best of Show will be in two categories: signature and non-signature, as well as five Honorable Mention awards in each category. Plus, winners will be featured on our blog and Facebook.
- You can submit up to five entries for $10 each. Payments are through the PayPal system.
- Artwork that has been accepted into prior CPSA exhibitions, Explore This! (ET!), and the international, are not eligible.
- Artwork entered in ArtSpectations is eligible for future ET! and international exhibitions.
The Fall ArtSpectations is set to open Thursday, September 5th and the deadline for entries is October 31, 2013. The competition will be accessible via a link on our website, www.cpsa.org, the morning of September 5th.
We are using a software package called ReviewRoom, developed by FluidSurvey, which has been customized by CPSA for our purposes. On the welcome page of Fall ArtSpectations you will find:
- The official eligibility rules (also accessible by a link in the upper-right menu).
- A link called "How Does This Work?" which is a short article on how to use the software.
- A link called "View the Current Submissions" where you can see what others have submitted.
We would love to hear feedback from our members on this new pilot program. Any concerns or hallelujahs can be sent to me, Cindy Haase at: email@example.com.